Sunday, September 2, 2012

Finishing Touches Being Put On ‘Ding’ Documentary


by Jeff Lysiak

The countdown to the official first screening of the film America’s Darling – a documentary about the life and impact of legendary editorial cartoonist, wildlife conservationist and former Sanibel and Captiva Island visitor Jay Norwood “Ding” Darling – is under way.

Scheduled to debut during “Ding” Darling Days at the JN “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge in October, America’s Darling will share the incredible history of Darling (1876-1962), the Des Moines Register editorial cartoonist who influenced readers through his syndicated cartoons, creating awareness of urgent environmental issues and the need to preserve America’s natural landscapes.

During the three years he has spent working on the film, producer Sam Koltinsky travelled across the country – from Florida and West Virginia to Michigan, Washington, DC and Iowa – gathering valuable biographical information and poring through documents, cartoons and other archived Darling treasures.

This spring, Koltinsky and his Marvo Entertainment Group team spent more than a month in Southwest Florida, filming several segments to be included in the 60-minute documentary at BIG ARTS, the refuge and at Darling’s former winter retreat – the Fish House, built in 1942 – on Captiva.

But since then, work on America’s Darling hasn’t begun to slow down.

“I left Sanibel and Captiva and went almost directly to Des Moines,” Koltinsky said last week. “We were able to visit Darling’s former home, capture a number of interviews related to Ding’s time in Iowa as well as to secure Iowa’s portion of our project’s funding goal. In addition, we have been building contacts and establishing dates for the show’s premieres around the country.”

Earlier this month, the Marvo team was back on the islands, completing additional filming at the refuge
as well as in the studio. Among the participants were Chris Steffen, the great-great grandson of Darling;
Jefferson Jones, a Lehigh Acres teen who has won the Florida Junior Duck Stamp competition for the past three years; Toni Westland, supervisory refuge ranger; and Jason Kalajainen, creative director of The Robert Rauschenberg Foundation’s artist residency program.

“Chris (Steffen) did a wonderful job at the WGCU studio, with whom we have been partnering,” said
Koltinsky. “We filmed Chris with a number of artifacts that I have been collecting from around the country, most of which have never been seen by the public. No, I am not giving any clues to what they are. However, I promise lots of ‘wows’ from the audience!”

Steffen, 17, explained that he enjoyed both of his visits to the islands this year, especially when he and his family were able to visit the Fish House for the first time back in March. Of course, being a vital part of the documentary is also exciting.

“Before all of this started, I really had no idea how much interest in my great-great grandfather’s work was out there,” said Steffen, who lives in Temple, Texas. “Grandpa Kip (Koss) always told us stories about him, but not too many kids my age know too much about him.”

One of the treasures that Koltinsky uncovered during his research for the film was an original printer’s plateof the farewell cartoon drawn by “Ding” Darling in early 1962. Both Steffen and Jones were thrilled to see the artifact in person while visiting the refuge recently.

“One of my aunts (Jennifer Graham) used to talk about that printer’s plate all the time,” added Steffen,
who will serve as the on-camera host for the film. “I think she was pretty jealous that I got to see it – and
hold it – in person. It’s one of his best known works.”

Jones, 17, would like to pursue a career – much like Darling himself – working in cooperation with wildlife, as an artist.

“I get a lot of my ideas just walking around, observing wildlife,” said Jones. “I usually do my own sketches, but I’d like to develop my photography skills. I prefer to work from my own experiences rather than from somebody else’s images. I think that it adds to a painting when it feels more personal to you.”

According to Koltinsky, America’s Darling will be completed in time for “Ding” Darling Days. In fact, the
film is scheduled to be screened at 1 p.m. on Friday, October 19 at the refuge’s Education Center.

“In fact, I was able to meet with Dr. John McCabe, Mike Mullins and Paul Tritaik this past week, discussing some of the artifacts in the show as well as the upcoming premiere,” said Koltinsky. “You know that the JN “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge has been, from the very beginning, key to the inspiration on which our project has been built. I am very thankful for not only their vision in helping to make this a reality, but also the wonderful people that ‘inhabit’ Sanibel and Captiva.”

After several years dedicated to this project, Koltinsky pointed out that never has one person’s life affected and inspired him as much as “Ding” Darling has done.

“I have had the honor to meet some of the best that this planet has to offer – from historians, conservationists, preservationists, artists, cartoonists, friends of Darling to our wonderful Junior Duck Stamp winners across the country,” he added. “These people and organizations, to me, are the true testimonies to Darling’s legacy.”

And, as one might expect, Steffen is eager to see the finished film.

“I’m interested in seeing some of the historians and hearing what they say about my great-great grandfather,” he said. “My whole life, I grew up hearing stories told by my family about him, but I think it will be cool to hear how other people view him, his work and his accomplishments.”

Island Sun (August, 24, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment